Council News 202
This week’s news from around the Council.
- COVID-19 update – Community testing
The community testing will involve the new rapid flow tests, which can provide results in around 20-30 minutes. Testing is available for people without symptoms, who are worried they have been in contact with an infectious case. This might include:
- Children and their parents, where there has been a positive case within their school.
- Employees, where there has been a case at their work.
- If you have come into contact with someone who has symptoms of Covid-19.
In addition to the semi-permanent testing site at Wombourne Library, there will be four pop
up Covid-19 community testing sites in the District this weekend, at the following locations:
Saturday 23rd January 2021
- South Staffordshire – Huntington, Cannock Rugby Club 10am – 12:30pm
- South Staffordshire – Essington Community Centre 2pm – 4:30pm
Sunday 24th January 2021
- South Staffordshire – Coven Memorial Hall, Coven 10am -12:30pm
- South Staffordshire – Great Wyrley Scout and Guide Hut 2pm – 4:30pm
Residents can pre book their slot here
For residents who have symptoms of Covid-19, please do not attend this testing. You need to book through the national portal here.
- Introduction to the Locality Enablers.
Six locality enabler roles have been created to help deliver on the Council Localities+ agenda. Their role is to drive forward the development and delivery of key council priorities, to consult and engage with Members, Parishes, residents and businesses to establish locality priorities and to work alongside Locality Forums to identify and develop projects and services.
Locality Podcasts will be a regular feature and the first of these introduces all Enablers and how they will contribute to Localities+ agenda. These podcasts aim to update you on what’s been happening on the Localities + agenda, a summary of the recent Locality Forums, what the Locality Enablers have been up to and also the opportunity for you to email in questions for Enablers to answer in the future podcasts. Click here Listen to the first podcast.
- Raising awareness of 2021 Census
Please follow @Census2021 on Facebook and Twitter, share their content and help raise awareness of the up and coming Census which will take place on 21 March 2021. Ultimately, it ensures funds are correctly invested in emergency services, health care, school places and other vital services. While results will be available the following year, all personal records will be locked away for 100 years and kept safe for future generations.
- Launch of ‘Your police. Your voice’ public survey
Staffordshire Police is inviting residents and businesses across the county to take part in a new survey designed to help the force achieve its vision of a safer Staffordshire. The survey launches on Friday 22 January and closes on Monday 8 February. It will be carried out on a rolling quarterly basis which will enable the force to get a better understanding of the issues which matter most to local communities. Click here to complete the survey.
- South Staffordshire Community Lottery – Ranked 5th best performing lottery in 2020
Out of 80 plus lotteries that are managed by our external lottery provider Gatherwell, the South Staffordshire Community Lottery has been ranked 5th, with the biggest percentage increase in players in 2020. Tickets this week have reached an all-time high, so a huge thank you to all of our lottery supporters. This is great news for local charities, good causes and community groups who have seen their traditional means of fundraising pause due to the pandemic. The lottery is the perfect solution for local groups to continue with their fund raising during these challenging times. It’s free for any good cause, charity or community group who benefit the local community to join, so if you know a local good cause who could benefit from this safe and secure way of fund raising, please tell them to join the lottery family today. Please click here for more information.
- Good News Story – South Staffordshire’s Christmas Fund
Just before Christmas, South Staffordshire Council awarded 23 Community Groups and 7 Parishes, up to £400 each to help support the most vulnerable in our communities. Some used the fund to send out Christmas hampers or to deliver a Christmas Day lunch and New Year’s Eve supper. Here are some heart-warming comments from the volunteers who supported Perton Parish Council’s proposals:
- The lady was whooping up and down her path
- The resident was moved to tears
- He laid a table for the first time this year to sit and enjoy the meal
- It’s brought smiles and happiness to many
Click here to view some photos. We will continue to add photos upon receipt from the applicant.
- Live and Online Exercise Classes
Access up to 26 live and online exercise classes per week, receiving your first month at half price if you join in January. Non-members receive their first class free of charge or alternatively join the online class membership this month to be eligible for our half price offer. Please click here for more information.
- Next week’s Council Committee/Panel meetings
- Planning Committee – Tuesday, 26 January 2021 – 6.30 pm – Public virtual meeting via Teams.
Everyone is encouraged to submit news items, please email: email@example.com