Council News 210
This week’s news from around the Council.
- Covid-19 Roadmap
- The latest figures in Staffordshire, including a district breakdown can be found here.
- You can check your areas statistics by putting in your postcode here.
- The Government’s 4 Step Roadmap out of Lockdown can be found here.
- Further information on the Governments roadmap can be found here.
- The Government’s roadmap went live on 8 March. It is the light at the end of a very long tunnel for us all, but these dates are not set in stone as they must be achieved.
- On Monday 8 March, schools and colleges returned for face-to-face learning. Everyone in a household where children and young people are at school or college should be getting tested twice weekly. This can be done through the Community Testing sites, workplace testing or by ordering tests to do at home (if you cannot get to a place to collect them). Click here for information on the pop-up testing sites and to order your home testing kits.
- The next step of phase one will take place on 29 March. The following is a summary of the additional easing to the restrictions:
- Social contact – Outdoor gatherings (including in private gardens) of either 6 people (the Rule of 6) or 2 households will now be allowed.
- Business and activities – Outdoor sports facilities such as tennis and basketball courts, and open-air swimming pools will also be allowed to reopen, and people will be able to take part in formally organised outdoor sports.
- Travel – The ‘stay at home’ rule will end on 29 March, but many restrictions will remain in place. People should continue to work from home where they can and minimise the number of journeys they make where possible. Travel abroad will continue to be prohibited, other than for a small number of permitted reasons. Holidays abroad will not be allowed.
- Covid-19 Additional key messages
- The key message remains – Hands, Face, Space.
- Get routinely tested (please see news item below).
- Get vaccinated when it becomes available to you. The latest vaccination data can be found here.
- National text messaging is being introduced for vaccine call-up to the over-50s.
- There is a push on health and social care workers to encourage vaccine uptake, especially among women of child-bearing age and members of certain communities.
- Although the vaccine rollout continues to be hugely successful, the virus is still present, therefore everyone, including those who have been vaccinated, must continue to comply with current restrictions.
- Most people are complying with the restrictions and it is only the minority who are not. We recognise the difficulties people are facing and are grateful for those who are complying.
- Things are continuing to improve across the health system, with fewer patients and outbreaks. Conversations are now taking place around the restoration and recovery of services.
- The Community Testing (LFT – lateral flow testing) programme has been expanded in recent weeks, with an increasing number of programmes being expanded to include home testing.
- Get routinely tested – This week’s testing sites in South Staffordshire
For residents who need to be out and about during lockdown or those living in a Covid-19 hotspot area it is important to attend lateral flow testing routinely, irrespective of whether they have had the vaccine or not. You can get a rapid Covid-19 test at any of our community testing sites, provided you’re asymptomatic, you’re not self-isolating, you haven’t had a positive Covid test in the last 90 days, and you’re not part of another regular asymptomatic testing programme. The Covid-19 community testing pop-up sites in South Staffordshire for 22 – 28 March 2021 are:
- Monday 22 March 2021
Perton, Civic Centre – 10am – 12:30pm
Penkridge, Haling Dene Centre – 2pm – 4pm
- Tuesday 23 March 2021
Great Wyrley Scout and Guide Hut –10am – 1.30pm
- Wednesday 24 March 2021
Featherstone, Community Centre – 10am -12:30pm
Essington, Community Centre – 2pm – 4pm
- Thursday 25 March 2021
Perton, Civic Centre – 10am – 12.30pm
Calf Heath, Village Hall – 2pm -4pm
- Saturday 27 March 2021
Essington, Community Centre – 10am – 12.30
Great Wyrley, Scout and Guide Hut – 2pm -4pm
- South Staffordshire’s semi-permanent Covid-19 Lateral Flow Testing (LFT) site will be Wombourne Library, Church Road , Wombourne WV5 9EZ (please check the booking calendar, as times vary on some days).
- Anyone with symptoms should not attend and instead book a PCR test online here.
- Support during the Pandemic
- We can help arrange local support for shopping, prescriptions and other necessities if anyone is self-isolating, who has an underlying health condition and cannot call upon friends, family or neighbours. Further information can be found here.
- Residents can use the Government’s online Test and Trace Support Payment page to check their eligibility if they need to self-isolate because of Covid-19 and cannot work from home. The site allows the public to input their postcode to find their local authorities relevant webpage.
- Show your support TODAY – Leisure’s fundraising for Comic Relief
In aid of Red Nose Day, we are asking everyone to join in our online exercise classes today (Friday 19 March) and in return, make a donation to comic relief. View the online class list here and click on ‘schedule’ to choose a class and make your booking. To make a donation to Comic Relief, please click here. Staff have been urging people to show their support all week. Here’s Nat from Wombourne encouraging everyone to donate.
- Good news for leisure members
As we approach April, we remain hopeful that, providing data and infection rates remain stable that our leisure centres gyms and pools will re-open on 12 April. We will be providing members with FREE access during April and going forward, membership fees will be reduced in May and June, until we are able to re-instate all facilities. Safety will be our absolute priority and we are confident that we can welcome everyone back into our covid-secure facilities. For the latest news, follow us on Facebook or subscribe to Leisure’s e-alerts.
- Council Job Vacancies
- Member Support Officer (x1 full time perm & x1 full time fixed term), Closing midnight on Sunday 28 March 2021 – application information.
- Customer Services General Advisor (12 month fixed term), Closing 5pm on Friday 26 March 2021 – application information.
- Career Graded Senior Planning Officers x2, Development Management, Closing 5pm Monday 22 March 2021 – application information.
- Senior Arboricultural Officer Development Management, Closing 5pm Monday 22 March 2021 – application information.
- Strategic Projects Assistant Team Manager, Development Management, Closing 5pm Monday 22 March 2021 – application information.
- Next week’s Council Committee/Panel meetings
- Overview & Scrutiny Committee – Tuesday, 23 March 2021 – 6.30 pm – Public virtual meeting via Teams.
- Licensing & Regulatory Committee – Thursday, 25 March 2021 – 2.30 pm – Public virtual meeting via Teams.
Members of the public can virtually attend these meetings via Microsoft Teams. In the news section at the bottom of the Council’s website, you will find the relevant news item that will include a link to enable you to join.
Good News Stories
- Kinver leads the way with Electric Vehicle charging points
Kinver Parish Council has installed the first public EV charging points in the area, on the High Street car park. The Fast Charge EV points are available to the general public, as well as to local residents. The installation was part funded by Government grant, with the purpose of ensuring that residents without off-street parking, can still charge their electric vehicles near to their homes.
The Parish Council spokesman said “We want to do all we can to tackle carbon emissions, by bringing forward practical solutions. That’s why Kinver Parish Council supports drivers to replace older polluting vehicles with cleaner ones. There are no alternative public charging points within 5 miles, and provision of EV charging in the local area is well below average. South Staffordshire has declared a Climate Emergency, and this project is one small contribution to encouraging the low-carbon lifestyles which are the future. PC have attained plastic free status as have many shops in Kinver and we are working together with the Kinver Eco Collective group to make Kinver a plastic free environment, nature friendly and green village.” The charge points were installed by local company Car Charger Ltd, who are also involved in installing workplace charge points in South Staffordshire’s new Codsall Community hub.
- “Leaving only footprints behind”
That’s the motto of Wombourne’s fabulous new ‘Litter Patrol’. Launched on the 8 of February 2021, it is truly going from strength to strength already, signing up 65 children aged 3-14 years in its first 48 hours alone, and it has a growing waiting list! What a wonderful, interactive way to keep your community space clean whilst giving children and young people an opportunity to volunteer.
Voluntary and Community Sector plays a critical role in so many ways for supporting and enriching the lives of local people. This report highlights through data and case studies just how much value these voluntary organisations add to our communities.
- Support Staffordshire present The Volunteer Star Awards
The community, including organisations, businesses and individuals are able to nominate people they feel deserve to be recognised for their contribution to the local community. Anyone can nominate. Closing date is 30 March 2021. To nominate someone for the Volunteer Star Awards please complete the online form here. You can also download a form and return it by email or post.
- Dementia – Day Opportunities
- Information on activities and support for people with dementia and other complex needs across Staffordshire, can be found here. Day opportunities are still available with strict Covid-19 compliance.
- Day Care at Home offers great support for individuals who are unable to attend our normal Day Opportunities centres
- Digitalising Day Care offers Sing-alongs, musical bingo, reminiscence, and other activities at home or in small groups.
- Let’s Beat Loneliness Together
Loneliness can affect anyone at any point. It can have an impact on our health, wellbeing, and self-esteem. In a recent survey 35% of Staffordshire residents reported that loneliness and isolation was a concern to them and 80% were worried about not seeing family and friends during lockdown.
- Further information on beating loneliness together, can be found here.
- Further information on befriending services can be found here
- Children and Young People – Emotional wellbeing
- SCTSP Family Support Services deliver a range of online workshops for parents.
- 4- week Programme Understanding and Managing Defiant Behaviours and Anger in Children and Young People. Start Date: Tuesday 20th April 2021: 1.30-2.30pm
- Helping Children to develop a Positive attitude and Growth Mind-set. Monday 19 April: 1-2.30pm
- Helping Children to Build Self Esteem and Manage Social Anxiety. Date: Monday 24 May: 1-2.30pm
- To book your place please email your name, date of programme and phone number to [email protected] or text/phone with your name, date of programme and email address to 07741645691. Once you have booked, you will be sent instructions on how to access the Workshop/Programme.
- Teen Guide to Surviving Lockdown and Beyond
- Safer communities and safeguarding
- Domestic Abuse
Demand on domestic abuse support services has increased, and additional funding has been provided to increase service provision. Useful information and contact details can be found below:
- Look Out – cyclist and driver safety
The days are getting longer, lockdown restrictions are easing, but still in place! Hands, Face, Space! Staffordshire Safer Roads Partnership are promoting a campaign to keep cyclists and drivers safe.
- Safe + Sound sessions
Aimed at Year 5 and Year 6 pupils. Whilst children will now be watching at school; parents/carers may want the opportunity to find out what their child has learnt and to discuss further at home. Topics in this week’s livestream were:
- Online Safety – YouTube
- Nature Prints with Staffordshire Wildlife Trust
- First Aid – head bumps
- Online Safety – Who Are You Really Talking to Online?
- Balance Challenge with Time4Sport
- Click here to view this week’s livestreams
- Previous programmes are all available to watch on demand at the bottom of the same page.
Everyone is encouraged to submit news items, please email: [email protected]