Council News 223
- South Staffordshire Council, Police and DVSA Partnership
Our Envirocrime and Community Safety team worked with the Police and DVSA on the A5, Gailey on 16/06/2021 to stop and check vehicles to ensure they are road legal and have the correct documentation. 12 vehicles were stopped, and the following were found:
- 1 X HGV – FPN insecure load
- 1 X disqualified driver
- 1 X stolen trailer recovered, plus query over stolen plant
- 1 X pick up with trailer – insecure load, incorrect VRM, no operator licence, no tachograph, reported for summons
- 1 X underinflated tyre and MOT advisories
- 1 X insecure load and reported for no MOT
- 2 X obscured or absent rear number plate
- 1 X vehicle defects rectified at scene
- 2 X advice for insecure load
It was a very successful locality-based focus day and great partnership working with the Police and DVSA.
- Boundary Review – consultation on ward boundaries
The Local Government Boundary Commission for England (LGBCE) has announced that it is minded to recommend that the council should have 41 councillors in the future. They are now drawing up a new pattern of wards to accommodate 41 councillors and asking local people and organisations for their help to draw up the new ward boundaries across South Staffordshire District Council.
The Commission also has a dedicated section on its website to keep you up to date as the review progresses.
- Council job vacancies
- Digital Apprenticeship, closing 16 July 2021. Application Information
- Legal Apprenticeship, closing 16 July 2021. Application Information
- Environmental Health Officer, closing 5pm on 5pm on 9 July 2021.Application Information
- Public Health Officer – Food Safety (Fixed Term), closing 5pm on 9 July 2021. Application Information
- Public Health Officer – Env Protection (Fixed Term), closing 5pm on 9 July 2021.Application Information
- Waste & Recycling Team Manager, closing 5pm on 28 June 2021.Application Information
- Planning Enforcement Officer – Senior/Officer, closing 5pm on 21 June 2021.Application Information
- Homelessness Prevention Officer, closing 12pm on 2 July 2021. Application Information
- COVID-19 Support Officers, open closing date.Application Information
- Next week’s Council Committee meetings
- Audit & Risk Committee – Tuesday, 22 June 2021 – 4.00 pm – Council Chamber
Members of the public can virtually attend this meeting via Microsoft Teams – a link can be found in the news section on the Council’s website
- Volunteer Star Awards
Support Staffordshire hosted the Volunteer Star Awards for South Staffordshire and Cannock Chase on 15 June 2021. It was available to watch on YouTube and recognised the amazing contribution of volunteers who have supported their local communities especially during the challenging times of the pandemic. The Volunteer Star Awards is available to watch here.
- South Staffs Treeworks hit a milestone
South Staffs Treeworks have now completed 100 quotes to residents and have provided services to 56 residents. If you would like a quote please contact Andy Aston
- Couch to 5K starting at Wombourne
Wombourne Leisure Centre start their 9 week ‘Couch to 5k’ programme on 29 June. The course is available to members and non-members; and children over 8. Places are limited and advanced booking is essential.
- FREE Online and On-demand exercise classes
Online exercise classes are remaining free for leisure centre members to attend. The classes are also available to non-members for a nominal fee.
Information and Resources
- Holiday Activities and Food (HAF) Programme
The government has launched a Holiday Activities and Food (HAF) Programme enabling local authorities in England to deliver inclusive activities including a hot meal over the school holidays.
It’s free for children and young people aged 5 – 16 years who receive benefit related free school meals. Staffordshire County Council are writing to all parents/carers of eligible children (via their school) with a unique code to register their interest and receive a timetable of activities.
Registration will be live from 5 July and closes once all the eligible places have been filled.
To avoid disappointment, parents/carers should register and book as soon as possible at: www.staffordshire.gov.uk/holidayactivities
- Transforming Mental Health
Midlands Partnership Foundation Trust are undertaking a large-scale transformation plan and exploring services in local communities. They are pleased to announce an exciting opportunity for Staffordshire residents to become co-producers’ in the development of the new Mental Health Services. With regards to South Staffordshire they are particularly interested in hearing from people who live in Locality 4, Locality 5 and Featherstone & Shareshill (in Locality 3). These areas are covered by Seisdon from a health perspective. Residents can find out how to get involved in the development of the new Mental Health Services here.
- Free Awareness Session – Spotting the Risks in Vulnerable People
Do you work with or support vulnerable people? Do you ever have concerns but are not really sure what they mean? Do you know how to support them? A FREE 90-minute online session on spotting the risks in vulnerable people will be delivered by Support Staffordshire, funded by Health Education England.
- Supportive Communities Training
Delivered by Support Staffordshire, funded by Staffordshire County Council. FREE online bite-sized training on:
- Signposting, Safeguarding and Assistive Technology
- Mental Health Awareness
- Encouraging a Safe Return to Community Activities
- Preparing to Reopen Premises Safely
- Preparing to Reopen Activity Groups Safely
- Staffordshire Libraries
- Supporting Children’s Learning – Summer Reading Challenge
Pack your bags, we’re headed for Wilderville for this year’s summer reading challenge, launching on Saturday 10 July at a Staffordshire Library near you!
Take part at your local library:
- Visit your local Staffordshire library to sign up for the challenge.
- You will receive a starter pack containing all the items you need to begin your reading adventure – including a pull-out poster and stickers! Take out six books and get reading!
- When you have read your books bring them back to your local Staffordshire Library, and collect your completers certificate, medal, and bookmark.
- Sign up to the Reading Agency’s easy-to-use website and create a profile at wildworldheroes.org.uk
- Children set their own challenge to read any amount of books during the Summer.
- Collect rewards with additional activities and incentives along the way, including online badges, games and videos.
- Children can download a certificate once they have completed the challenge.
- Online Activities
There’s lots taking place online during the summer too! Visit Staffordshire Libraries on Facebook for fun creative activities taking place every Wednesday during the summer holidays.
- Roadmap Update
The final milestone on the Government’s roadmap was to lift most of the restrictions by 21 June 2021. This has now been postponed until 19 July. However, some restrictions have been lifted:
- The number of guests at a wedding will no longer be limited to 30, although venues and hosts will have to do a risk assessment to ensure social distancing can take place (similar rules apply to wakes). Music is allowed but no dancing or singing.
- Care home residents will not necessarily have to self-isolate after leaving their care homes, and they will be able to nominate an “essential care-giver” who can visit, even if they are self-isolating.
- Children can go on overnight trips in groups of 30 with, for example, the Scouts or Guides, or as part of summer residential schools.
- Further information on what you can and cannot do.
- Covid-19 Asymptomatic testing options
Asymptomatic residents are encouraged to test at least twice a week. If you test positive, please isolate for 10 days. There are three options available, of which are all free:
- Collect test kits from a pharmacy; click here to find the nearest one to you.
- Order test kits online by clicking here. These will be sent to your home address.
- Visit a test site to either collect test kits or to have a test done.
- South Staffordshire’s semi-permanent Covid-19 Community Testing site is Wombourne Library.
- Updates on daily pop up testing sites all around South Staffordshire can be found on South Staffordshire Councils Facebook page.